Friday, November 19, 2010

Red Door Corner Store - Northcote




What a little treasure to find. The Red Door Corner Store is a neat little place on the corner of Mitchell and Andrew Street in Northcote. I arrived on a sunny Saturday at the tail end of a breakfast rush to find, people reading newspapers outside on bright red tables in the sun. A buzz and hum inside met with clever and cute eye catching enamel pots and pans and all things red can be found here. Muffin trays and the like have been framed and decorate a whole wall on one side. It is a feast for my eyes. Tables dressed with flakey sea salt and red pepper grinders along with raw sugar bowls and mismatched art deco, 50’s style cutlery. Serving Gravity coffee in gorgeous cups and saucers, quaint and sweet attention to detail has been paid. My flat white was the perfect temperature and beautifully presented and although it wasn’t as strong as I would have preferred it was still a lovely cup of coffee. I watched as plate after plate of delicious breakfast feasts pass me by and remind myself to come back for a feed another day. I decided to try the Gravity as an espresso to see if it had more punch in it. I think that I should have stuck to my regular flat white as it was the least favourite part of my experience here and its crema did not last long at all. The milk based coffee’s here are just fine and are a compliment to the fabulous food and venue on offer. A lush and green courtyard to catch the rays in and slow the day down is available or you could grab a red and white ‘keep cup’ and get it on the run with your breaky groceries from the Red Door Corner Store.

No comments:

Post a Comment