Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sorrento







When you arrive at a hostel you've booked online, you are never really expect it to be anything like the place I stayed in here. It was just so sweet. Mami Camilla! I arrived and was immediatley excited about it. Lemon trees in the garden, great outdoor seating to relax in. This hostel actually hosts a cooking school as well. The students live in the rooms and attend cooking school for 3 months and cook all day for the guests in the evening! Learning about traditional Italian cooking and gaining qualifications at the same time. They offer a placement in restaurants in Sorrento after the course is complete. Breakfast was to die for! 5euros for an array of food to choose, straight from a dedicated Italian kitchen. I really struck gold booking into this place.
When I checked in at reception, they informed me that my shared dormitary was actually full so they were going to have to book me into the private room for the weekend. At no extra charge. I mean, come on! This room had a balcony! Big huge outdoor chairs with cushions to relax in the shade during a European summer dream!
Sorrento itself was just as impressive, I was about a 10 minute walk from the centre square that was filled with cafe's, nightclubs, restaurants and those cute little shopping streets that I love to wander through. I ate here everyday and watched the wonderful human salad that passed me by. Beautiful people, gorgeous weather, delicious coffee, great atmosphere. I am so lucky to be here.
I spent a whole day on the beach again, which is a lot of stairs down to a winding road that leads to the water and 20euro beach chairs. This my friends, is where I tried the best Gnocchi ever to pass anyones lips before. Melted in my mouth!
My last few days I finally got sick. I'm surprised it took this long, after a month of travelling and staying in hostels breathing shared air and pushing yourself to fit as much into your day as you can, I was bound to catch a cold at some point. I was grateful to have my own space to get better and make sure I was well enough for my flight to Spain next! So I sacrificed my visit to Pompeii, which obviously I did not want to do and have since decided that I loved Sorrento so much that I will just have to come back and do the Pompeii trip next time. Perhaps, I need to do a cooking class as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment